Thursday, October 1, 2009

Boston

Interesting trip to Boston! I went for a conference sponsored by Harvard and McLean Hospital on "Coaching in Medicine and Leadership". I arrived on Thursday evening and it took me forever to make my way from the Airport to the hotel. (I quickly learned that GPS is not the way to go) I stayed in Cambridge - which is apparently right across the river from Downtown. The conference was right on the water near Seaport village. The whole event was perfectly run and the speakers were outstanding:

Ben and Roz Zander: The Art of Possibility
Ellen Langer: Counterclockwise
Coach Meg and Carol Kauffman: Institute of Coaching
David Cooperrider: Appreciative Inquiry

I held back on purchasing books and standing in lines for autographs. It was nice to be on my own - using the breaks between sessions to journal about the changing nature of the coaching world and how this all translates to Medica and to my life. I had lunch with a psychiatrist who works at a homeless shelter in Philadelphia, a school psychologist from Rhode Island, and a psychotherapist from Arizona. Can you just imagine our conversation?! It was fascinating to hear so many perspectives and witness such great minds coming together.

I spent a lot of time in the rental car (which someone damaged in the parking ramp) but I learned so much about optimism and patience at the conference that it didn't seem all that bad! I decided to just get on the freeway one night and ended up in Arlington at a great restaurant. Best butternut squash ravioli I've ever had and wonderful conversation with a local. One night I decided to just park the car at the nearest place and walk around downtown. Turns out I paid $14 for 30 min and I had to ask someone to help me back out of the parking space! So embarrassing. I met up with my cousin Landon for lunch at a great vegan restaurant called Grasshopper. I enjoyed seeing him and hearing about his experiences in New Bedford. I'll certainly go back for another visit some day - lots more exploring to do.