
I experienced a great deal of excitement and anticipation, learning that the place was crowded because the author (William Paul Young) was invited to speak. It was phenomenal! One of those life changing moments. He was so real and authentic in his expressions of faith and lifelong learning. It was a casual conversation...him sitting next to the pastor wearing blue jeans and a hoodie sweatshirt, telling us his story of healing. I can't wait to read the book!
This was such a God thing: My summer trip to Michigan is where it started - Mrs. R welcomed us to the cottage with a gift: The Shack. I kept the book on my nightstand for months. My mom mentioned that she picked up a copy and started reading it, but the dog found the book one night and went to town. I loaned her my copy and she ended up leaving it at the doctors office. So, after being totally inspired by his talk, I decided to purchase the book at church and then signed up for a small group to discuss.
I've considered the small groups many times, but always hesitated and never took the next step in getting to know people in the congregation. It is also hard since I'm entering a new church community with some mixed emotions about choosing to attend the Upper Room, which is far removed from my dad's Lutheran preaching. I love their music and experiential worhip, plus now I'm even more jazzed because the church is relocating to my neighborhood. Literally - blocks from my house! I think this is one of the many ways that God continues to reveal his plan and presence in all things. I hope to invite some friends and family to join me sometime, but I'm also looking forward to making new connections with Christians in this small group. I'll let you know how it goes...